Why do you come to this Blog?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Long term Money goals

As of today, Joe and I both bring in an income of $23,000 a year. We live pretty comfortably off this. Yes, we still have wants, and I have debt (mostly medical), but for the most part, we live comfortably.

After both Joe and I graduate, we stand to make 6 figures in money and benefits. I don't think I could deal with having that much money. It seems way too... Excessive after living most of my adult life on less than 12k a year. I have friends who would live off more, but honestly, I don't need it. I'm a pretty simple person.

Now I haven't talked with Joe about this. This is mostly musing.

So, in my time on Pinterest, I've looked at several pins that say stuff like "live off 30k a year" and "How live off 20k a year." And I like it. The federal poverty level is 22k for a family without kids. So I think we could live a lavish lifestyle for $35k a year, and if we spawn or adopt we can add an additional 5k a year.

All the rest of the money would be split into 2 groups, I think: saving/investment (including saving for the spawn's education) so that we can expand our wealth and not have to worry about future financial problems, and charity because Joe and I both firmly believe that aiding the community is what matters in life. 

I want to host 2 fundraisers a year: 1 medical (lupus, FND, st. Baldricks), and 1 
Community fundraiser, and I'm currently leaning towards United way. I want to eventually sponcer a low income public boarding high school in the area based on the Seed School in Washington DC. We have a high homeless population in the area, and investing in the education of an area is investing in the future profitability of an area. I also really want a scholarship fund as well, perhaps for women or minorities in the construction industry, or men or minorities going into education to satisfy my feminist agenda. Who knows, I might be able to do both! I also want to make 1 aid trip a year. Go build an orphanage in China, build a school in Nepal, help eradicate guinea worm in Africa...you know, helping people abroad.

But anyway, I feel like living off of 35k a year, and budgeting well will be easy enough. That's an additional 12k from what we have now. That is so much money I'm still having trouble figuring out what we'd do with it all.

I guess I'm just day dreaming. Graduation for both of us is years away, and it's nice to think about being rich. Also it's nice to feed my philanthropy boner.



No comments:

Post a Comment