Why do you come to this Blog?

Monday, July 6, 2015

Like running through a dense forest.

Damn, reading is hard! I started reading a young adult novel outloud to joe. "Sabriel" by Garth Nix is a book I've read twice, once in the past 5 years. I'm ising several techniques I use to teach my kids reading. The first is reading a book they enjoy. The second is using a book they've read before (memorization breeds confidance) I'm using a book where the vocabulary and sentence structure are below my reading level. I'm reading the book out loud which gets the auditory part of the brain involved in decoding. I'm rereading problem sentences to improve comprehension, and i still didn't understand some sentences in the more sizable paragraphs. In the 14 page, large font chapter I read, I had problems with comprehension in 4 passages. Only one I asked joe to explain. The rest I ignored because I got the basics of what was going on, or the content wasn't important enough to ruin the flow of the story.

After the chapter was done and I had closed the book, I got the queezy adriniline driven fear and it felt, in my brain that I was running through a fence forest really fast. Flashes of light in the darkness zipping around you but never in front. And the whole time terrified that you'll run into something. It's a difficult feeling to grasp let alone explain, but it's both amazing and horrible. It's pleasant slightly, but mostly just aweful.

Tomorrow I'm going to read the chapter out loud again, and for the next chapter I'm going to use a bookmark to keep my place.


No comments:

Post a Comment