Why do you come to this Blog?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What is a Badass?

Google Definitions defines a Badass as "a tough, uncompromising, or intimidating person." or a "a formidably impressive person." But what does that mean? What is a badass? What are the qualities that make one person more badass than the rest? Is it a leather jacket and a scar? Is it a fierce independence that defies social norms? Is it a deep and passionate caring for the human condition? Truly, what is a badass and what does it mean to me?

I've seen many badassess in my years. There are the common references of John Wayne, Bruce Lee, and Winston Churchill. There are the fictional references in Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Batman. Then we find the female badasses both fictional and real: Buffy, Xena, The Bride, Joan of Arc,  Queen Boudicca, and Angelina Jolie. In addition, the less recognized badasses such as Mother Teressa, and Hawa Abdi. I also have many friends who are badasses, EMTs, Volunteer Firefighters, Marines, MMA warrior poets, and people who have worked themselves out of nothing to find their place. With so much inspiration, it's only right that I struggle to emulate that which I admire, and become a person that I would like to be. 

I want to become a badass. Don't get me wrong, my life isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm not seeking change to get out of a tight spot. I actually lead a pretty comfortable life now. I have a loving family, wonderful friends, my "children" (a cat and a snake), a good job, and a very bright future. I even have a romantic interest that I'm rather fond of.

That wasn't always the case. A year and a half ago, something happened to me that presented itself as an opportunity to allow me to figure out who I am and what I want to be. I hit a very low point in my life. It broke the person who I once was, the world I had lived in, and hurt a lot of people in the process (a fact I deeply regret). I can never be her again, and I can never go back to that way of life. This is a written account of my exploration into redefining myself. It is a log of the efforts I make into becoming the best me I can. It is an ongoing testament of my journey as a person who wants to be better than she is.


What is a badass to me? A badass is a person, male or female, who doesn't pretend to be something they are not. They are themselves, without apology or apprehension. Despite this confidence, however, they are always trying to become better than they were. They strive for their view of perfection, without the illusion that it can ever be obtained. They allow themselves to make mistakes, and let it make them grow. They are strong, both physically and mentally. They are independent and self reliant. They have a wide range of knowledge. And finally they use themselves as a tool to help others. 


A badass has qualities I separate into 4 categories:

Physical:

  • They are fit, healthy, and strong
  • They have their own personal style
  • They know how to fight
  • They work with any physical impairments
  • They are clean, and hygienic 
Intellectual:

  • They have varied knowledge
  • They know of other badasses
  • They are well read
  • They know a verity of etiquette and protocol and the time and place to use each
  • They have an adventurous spirit
  • They listen more or as much as they speak
  • They are creative spirits
Social:

  • They are leaders
  • They are independent
  • They have an unusual hobby
  • They are keenly aware of the plight of their fellow man.
  • They are humanitarians
  • They have a willingness (not an outright desire) to defy conventions to stand up for those who cannot.
  • They actually DO things and don't just talk about them.
Personal:

  • They have their own moral code, which they strictly abide by.
  • They stand up for themselves as they do others.
  • They know their limits and attempt to overcome them.
  • They have a mindfulness and inner-peace.
  • They listen to their inner voice.
  • They are okay with being alone.
  • They are organized with their time and space
  • They normally have a vice that may negate one or two of the above.
This is my definition of a badass. This is everything I strive to be. As I work towards achieving this goal, my definitions may change, but as it stands. This is what I want and believe.

What do you think a badass is? Let me know by following this link:  Here

No comments:

Post a Comment